Monday, May 9, 2011

Rolly Pollies are Evil--this ones for you Dad

Last year one of the big downfalls of my garden was rolly pollies. I talked to other people here, and they said that rolly pollies don't really affect their gardens; or that rolly pollies only eat decaying matter, not growing plants. But I have documented evidence of their destruction.

They would eat a growing plant down to the roots. Starting with the leaves, then stalk. I would get a tomato start from the store, plant it, and the next day it would be completely gone. Sometimes I questioned my mental stability, because there was no sign whatsoever of the plant I knew I had plated only hours before.

While I was in FL I told my parents of my dilemma, and my mom said, "just google it and I'm sure you'll find something." Whata smart woman. Of course google had the answer. I read about many people suffering the exact same gardening fate I was due to those destructive rolly pollies.

The answer: Diatomaceos Earth: and safe, organic compound that kills those little buggers. And it worked after a few days of skeletal bone powder all over, my garden was thriving with no signs of invaders. Hehehe, I got them!They even gobbled up the marigold--a known insect repellent


No comments: