Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Sweet Joy

Today Kimball and I went grocery shopping while Joey was at preschool. Kimball is insistent on pushing the cart completely unassisted. He goes nuts when I even lightly touch the cart to guide it away from objects/people. He immediately pushes my hand away and tries to reassure me by saying, "I'm not gonna crash mom."

By the end the cart is really heavy and he struggles with all his might just to keep it moving forward, standing on his tippy toes to see over the top. Yet he still refuses even a little help. I am afraid people will think I'm making him do it. I put my hand on the cart when I see people looking at us so they can see him push my hand away and know I'm not abusing him--he's not really my midget slave :) But his fierce independence and willpower make me smile. I know they are traits that will give him the strength to overcome this world. That makes me happy.

Then at the end, when we were almost done. He runs off to the end of the isle and with his back to me, starts doing his "booty shake"--bent over, bum wiggling all over the place. It just made me so happy. To see my sweet, wild, independent son doing his free spirited booty shake right in the middle of the store.

It's one of those moments I hope my heart never forgets.

No comments: