Sunday, May 2, 2010

My First Triathlon!

My sweet friend Jennifer Linford talked me into doing a triathlon with her at the end of May. Then, a few weeks ago she got the crazy idea to do one in Galveston to get us prepared for the Olympic distance in May. So 5 of us crazy girls packed in a van and went to Galveston for the weekend. It was sooo fun! What an amazing experience! It was a thrilling environment and so amazing to feel like an athlete. Totally cured me of feeling like "just a mom."

It is an amazing thing to push you body to it's limit and realize there is still more you can do. I felt the divinity of having a body created by Heavenly Father--it is limitless!!!! I know I can do anything and overcome anything with His help!

Here we are at 5am (after getting only 3 hours of sleep), totally happy to do this crazy thing :)
This was like a dream come true to me. I always thought it was so amazing to see the triathletes with their permanent marker numbers written on their arms--now it was me in the picture. I was so sad when it came off.
Getting ready for our ocean swim


We got in the water early to get used to the waves and salt water. Unfortunately, my feet had a run in with some Oyster shells. Then, after all that, they ended up canceling the swimming portion due to wind. The night before there were 75mph winds and they didn't want any casualties. I was so sad because I didn't get to do the whole thing.

Our 2 cheerleaders and photographers--Shantelle McBride and Angela Davenport
And the race begins. I started out slow, but gained a lot of speed after the first mile. It was a beautiful 12.5 mile ride along the ocean
5K run
Crossing that finish line felt amazing. It was great to hear, "Lindsay Gurr from San Antonio" as I sprinted those last 300 feet.
Just a note--I seem to be smiling in all the pictures--not because it was easy--it wasn't, but because of all the support. There were people all along the route cheering and saying, "You're doing great! Keep going!"

It made me want to be a cheerleader for everyone around me. To lift everyone I see and cheer them along on their journey in life. You never know when someone's just about to quit, and your comment and love could keep them in the race.
Celebrating with our medals for all finishers.
Ahh, we stretched and talked forever. I love stretching!


The best part was the free 10 minute massage we got at the end. You would think it would have been my legs in pain--nope, they we're fine. It was the huge knots in my shoulders he was working out. I always carry a little reminder of Joey and Kimball with me wherever I go--some reminders of the stress :) But they're well worth it!
Here's the pic the pro took of all the athletes. I'm in the process of getting mine.

9 comments:

Carol said...

SO IS ONE PICTURE ALL THE ENERGY YOU HAD TO POST?! HOPE THE RIDE WAS GREAT

Sally said...

Wow, that's awesome! I'm guessing it's from Galveston, right? Or is it from Corpus?

Unknown said...

Awesome pic, no story? This looks like it should be in a biker magazine, go you!

Carrie said...

Lindsay!
That is amazing. What a great feeling. And I totally starting crying when you talked about cheering others on. you have always been a great cheerleader.
Congratulations on such a great accomplishment. And you are looking fabulous!

amy said...

linds, i thought you were never going to run a 5k again, much less do a triathlon! crazy, amazing girl!

Laura said...

Oh man! You are amazing!!!! That is my dream -- maybe someday I'll actually do it. :) I hope your feet recover and I'd just like to say . . . there are easier ways to earn a massage. :)

Rachel Oswald said...

You are a superstar girl! That is nuts! And yes, I was definitely noticing your bug smile in all the pics! Why don't you just rub it in and make it look so easy :) Great job!

Rachel Oswald said...

Ok proofreading would be a good idea I guess. I meant "big" not "bug smile." Love you!

The Favorite said...

That is so awesome!!!
Way to go- it was just like yesterday that we did the 5K at Niagara Falls. Great job!