Wednesday, June 12, 2013

March Camping

The Thursday before Easter weekend, we decided to take the boys camping before it got too hot. We went up to the mountains near our house--Madera Canyon. It was a lot of fun. Being open range, we set the boys to work scooping up cow pies as soon as we got there.
 The next job was getting the fire going. I copped out and bought a starter log, but the darn thing woudl not light.  Luckily we were surrounded by dry weeds so after many trips to collect more, the boys finally got some steady flames going.





 With the fire going we could enjoy some fire danceing from Kimball :), soem yummy hot dogs, and we topped it off with s'mores.



 And of course, some roasted peeps.  I will always be grateful to Melissa Gurr for introducing that delicacy to me!
 And of course, out little pyros had fun all night throwing arm loads of dried grasses onto the flames and watching the fire explode.


After a not so restful night sleep (I can never sleep when camping, especially when owls are hooting all night), we woke up to a beautiful morning. It's just so nice to wake up in the great outdoors--even when you're exhausted.

 Those dead grasses picked the warm coals right back up into a great fire





 Warm fake milk--yoohoo, complete with cow piefuel. No one got sick from either of those.

Then a little game of football tag. If you got hit with the ball, you were it.



 Dad running for his life


 Dad made us a yummy breakfast of eggs and sausage which we made in to breakfast burritos.
He must have eaten way to much because part way through his meal he just tipped over backward.  I tried not to laugh as I made him stay on the ground while I got the camera :)
 These 2 friends of smokey the bear were great at putting out the fire.  Kimball used sand and Joey water, and together, they put it totally out...and probably filled up the fire pit a few inches.


As much as I don't like all the cleanup and tons of prep for camping, I am so glad we went.  It's so fun to hang out with your wonderful family--away from everything.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

This trip looks so fun!! I love all the things you document! AND I'm so happy you continue to enjoy roasted peeps! :)

Myra said...

I loved this whole blog post Lindsay! It is so fun to see a small part of your goings-on in AZ. Thanks for sharing!