Sunday, July 12, 2009

4th of July

Swimming at the Hilton pool with Sally and Caleb

For the 4th we went to our new neighborhood (where we were in the process of buying a house). The current owners invited us to come. We were so impressed at what a great neighborhood it was. it felt like we stepped back into a 1950's warm, friendly, God-fearing time. All the kids/families were invited to be in the parade and decorate bikes and cars. The boys loved/feared the noisy firetruck.

The families paraded down the main street and our boys loved getting the candy that was thrown!


After the parade everyone met at the pool area and it was a big potluck where everyone brought a dish. To start out the lunch we had a prayer (what, are you serious!), sang the national anthem, and said the pledge of allegiance! I totally cried. I just couldn't believe people would actually do that these days. They weren't worried about offending different people in the neighborhood, they just did what they thought was right. It was beautiful and reconfirmed to us that we had picked the right place to live. I definitely felt we were led by Heavenly Father--it just all worked out.
Two tired boys after waiting in the hot sun and 100 degree temps
waiting for fireworks at Sally's house
Kimball finally did it, he broke his bed. He jumps like a mad man in there and I was afraid he would bust through the bottom one day. We had been finding springs that he popped off over the weeks. On the 4th I went to put him down for a nap and one side of the bed fell down. He had broken the metal frame. Our handy fixerman Peter strung a little rope and fixed that bed right up. We'll see how long this bed lasts :)

Poor Kimball had a bad diarrhea bug and was getting sick. It was so sad to see him sick, but the silver lining is that he is so snuggly. We have taken advantage of the snuggle time.

Kimball was not happy getting interrupted with a bright flash

7 comments:

Camille said...

That is so awesome your neighborhood does that! I am so happy you guys found such a great place to live! And it's a great house on top of that! What a blessing.

That's hilarious that Kimball broke his bed. I love the fix! Hopefully it will hold out.

I forgot to ask you how Kimball was doing. He seemed to be a happy kid so I'm assuming he was better. Did they figure out what he had?

Rosanna said...

I'm glad you love your new neighborhood...that's so important! I seriously laughed out loud about Kimball breaking his bed and the picture of Peter fixing it with a rope. Hilarious! I hope Kimball is doing better.

Sally said...

I didn't know Kimball broke his bed-! That's hilarious :D Way to fix it Peter!

Rachel Oswald said...

I am so happy you have such an amazing new hood. Now I REALLY have to come live there with you! What a cute little beast Kimball is to break his bed!

Laura said...

I'm so glad that you found such a great place to live. :) You'll fit right in!

Wayne said...

Go Kimball!
Grandma T

Unknown said...

What a fun neighborhood and 4th of July - and you look as skinny and gorgeous as ever! :D