Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Happy Birthday Joseph!!!

Joseph loved opening up his presents this year! He was very protective of them and had to get up on the table so that Kimball wouldn't come and take them away.

We had some friends over for dinner so Joey got to celebrate with his new Texas friends--Ethan, Madison, and Hailey. We missed our Buffalo buddies, but it was nice to have some new friends here to celebrate.

Joseph, at three years, you have really begun to change. We have had a difficult last year, but things are looking up. You have been very frustrated with life. First, after your second birthday you were still not speaking very much. You would get very frustrated that you could not communicate your thoughts to us. Also, little tasks like playing with toys would often leave you in a hysterical fit because things did not go exactly as you wanted. I'm afraid you inherited my impatience for things. You are one very smart boy and I can tell you get so frustrated because you understand how things should work, but your little body isn't able to do them perfectly every time. I'm afraid you inherited a bit of your Dad's perfectionism. I have spent countless hours by your side trying to assure that "it's ok, just keep trying." Or, anxiously listening from the next room while you scream and cry trying to figure it out by yourself. Whew, I'm exhausted. But now you are speaking extremely well! I think you just held it all in until you knew you could speak without difficulty.

You are such a silly boy. It's so cute to hear you laughing hysterically over simple little things--like your newly invented word: compinggine. I have no idea where that one came from! Despite being so silly, you are also very serious at times. I am glad that you are the oldest because your cautiousness and seriousness will be a good example for the younger ones to follow.

You are also becoming a very big helper to me. You and I do our "Special Job" everyday and you pick out one chore for us to do together and you really do a lot. It's been great for me because I don't like to clean, but it's a lot more fun to do with you!

Here are some of the things you love: Trains--you play for hours with your train everyday. Your puppies--they are you nap time playmates. Your sand table, although you're not so fond of Kimball creeping in on that space. Letters--you are fascinated by them recently and want me to go over each one with you. Stories--you LOVE for me to retell stories of what we did and saw each day. The most requested story (I think you asked me to repeat it 20 times in less than 30 minutes) was when we got to the library early so we stopped to look at the construction trucks next door. One small bull dozer was trying to scoop up rocks and became so front heavy that it tipped over on it's nose. The driver got out and whistled to his friend in the big bull dozer. The big bull dozer came over and pushed him upright again. This amazed you. You constantly said, "Mom, can you talk about those trucks?" After the story you would always say, "That was so nice that he helped his friend."

We love you very much Joseph I realize more and more each day how important the love of a mother is for her children. One morning I was watching you play and you looked so cute I just had to give you a kiss. You then looked at me and said, "I love kisses!" Then one day you stayed quiet and happy in your room for a really long time (3 hours)! I went to get you and as soon as I walked into your room I said, "Joseph, I missed you!" You then asked, "where did you go?" I told you I didn't go anywhere, I just missed you during nap time. You got the biggest smile on your face and you eyes were sparkling!

I hope you always remember how special you are to us!







2 comments:

Kolby said...

what a sweet recap of Joey's life! Your boys are the cutest and I love your updates. Cohen hasn't seen any pics of Kimball since CT, and as soon as I pulled up your blog he pointed and shouted, "KIMBALL!" We miss you guys!
Rach

Sally said...

What a priceless letter. And now I feel like I know my sweet nephew a little better :) Thanks for sharing that.