Sunday, July 6, 2008

First Hike

We were really excited to be by mountains so we could go hiking again. After we finally got the house settled, we looked on line at all the local hikes and choose one we thought sounded great. We drove there and Joseph loved seeing all the mountains. He kept saying, "Look mom, I see more mountains!" He then said, "Those are chocolate mountains." I guess the lack of trees does make them look like chocolate.

So, when we arrived at our hike destination, we saw 3 border patrol trucks patrolling the area. We started to get a little nervous because we were right on the border of Mexico, but we kept driving down the dirt road. We were right along the train tracks and Joseph was in heaven watching the train pass right in front of us.
Then, we saw a sign that said this....
So, Peter and I decided we better call the police dept. and make sure this was a safe place to hike. They assured us it was a safe place to hike, they just wanted us to call when we were started and finishing the hike so they could make sure there were no hiking accidents.

We then parked our car next to the ravine and started to haul all our stuff out of the car. Then, out of the corner of my eye I saw two brown heads walking toward us out of the ravine. My heart went into attack mode. But after being frozen in fear for a few seconds, I could see that they were wearing border patrol uniforms--yeah, they were not going to kill us and take off with our car!!! We asked the officers if we were really safe here, and they said they just hiked to the top and it was totally clear. They said to just leave our wallets in the car because there are muggings that occur near the Cristo. So, I said a little silent prayer, and we actually had a fun hike!



3 comments:

Rosanna said...

Wow! You guys are very brave! I think I would have left after seeing that sign. It looks hot...was it sweltering heat?

Sally said...

Yikes, you guys are braver than I would be. I think the "leave your wallets in the car" would have made me very suspicious of the border patrol... ha! I'm glad it was fun!

Unknown said...

LOL. Wow! What an adventure to be living so near the border!