Friday, March 1, 2013

100 Days of school and 1/2 marathon

 For the 100 days of school celebration, Kimball's class had the assignment of making a poster using 100 things.  So with 50 leave, 29 black lentils, 20 pink lentils, and 1 stick--we got a really cool piece if art.

  
On February 2nd, I completed a really big goal of mine by running a 1/2 marathon.  It was so hard to build up my milage because running is something I NEVER enjoyed, and it almost does my knees under. But through lots of hard work (most of it mental--to push myself to do something I don't completely care for), and lots of foam rolling, I was able to do it!

The boys thought it was great to go to Phoenix for the night. They loved staying in the hotel, eating at Olive Garden the nigth before the race, and getting to watch lots of tv :)
Peter was an awesome support to me. Helping me wake up the boys at 5:55 in the morning to trek out to the freezing cold packet pick up and start of the race.



             Freezing boys wishing mom good luck.  

Cute boys waiting for her to finish :)
 Kimball waiting to give me a high five and run with me for a few yards.
Joey wasn't quite as interested in that :)



 I did it!  I couldn't believe I did that!!! I am NOT a runner--it is like torture to me. But there is something so exhilirating and powerful about pushing beyond your limits.  It always reminds me that I am a child of God.  Because I have His divinity in me, I can do amazing things!  

And the best part--I ran the Whole thing!  I usually can't make it more than a mile or two without stopping to walk for a bit and then keep running.  But not this time.  The course was along a beautiful desert road so I could just get in my groove without distractions. It was so beautiful seeing the sun come up over the mountains.  It is a long, steady climb the whole first half--not a steep hill, bit enough to keep me saying, "curse you darn hill" throughout the whole 6++ miles.  I kept telling myself, "just make it up, and then at the turn around you can stop and walk."  But as soon as I hit that turn around, I saw how much I had climbed--the view was amazing. And I thought, "if I can run up that with out stopping, surely I can run down that without stopping." And I did. Despite fatigue and bad stomach cramping at mile 10 and really yucky bowel problems at
 miles 11-13 (not pleasant). But I did it!

It was so wonderful to have my sweet family waiting for me at the finish line!  I love them!  It definietly motivated me to keep moving knowing they were there waiting.  I finished in a time of 2:08--pretty good for a girl who doesn't run.  I was just so proud of myself for pushing through and finishing something very hard for me.  It feels great!

 Playing back at the hotel
It was so sad. My bowels were so hurting after the race that the only thing I could do was drink Sprite.  I was so excited to finish and eat a hug burger or steak or something, but after running to the bathroom every 15 minutes, I decided it was better to just go easy.  We have over a 2 hour drive home and the desert offers no privacy if you have to pull over on the side of the road.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

2:08 is amazing! I have only run one myself and it is a huge accomplishment! Well done.

Myra said...

Loved Kimball's art project - definitely the best one of all! And Lindsay, you are such a trooper! You are amazing to do that half marathon and finish like you did. I can certainly sympathize with you about the bowel problems. My heart goes out to you. I am glad you were able to finish. Way to go!!!

Melissa said...

You freaking ran a HALF????? Aaaa! I am so inspired!! You are AMAZING! And in just over 2 hours?? Holy moly! This is good, I feel like I like running about as much as you, so it's possible! We need to talk soon, about sprint tri's and stuff.