Sunday, September 9, 2012

March

Joey was so proud that one wild bluebonnet was growing in our front yard!  We loved that little flower and it was very protected :)


 Joey and Kimball started to love using our camera. These are some of their favorites. 
Dad's patooshi

Mom getting some warm cooked cereal after coming home all sweaty from teaching her early Saturday morning cycling class at Gold's Gym

Joey trying to escape Kimball and the camera






We were sad to loose Great-Grandpa Gurr in March. Peter was able to fly out and attend the funeral of his wonderful Grandpa.

Peter'd thoughts: "One favorite memory of Grandpa's children was his ability to do a head stand and how he often had loose change in his pockets that would fall out. I even remember him doing head stands when he was a little boy living in Parowan."



After listening to Elder Bendar's Talk OCTOBER 2011 THE HEARTS OF THE CHILDREN SHALL TURN,  I felt I needed to help our children get involved in family history. After hearing that promise, I knew I needed to get to work. So I got out the amazing book put together for my Great Grandma Burnett's 100th birthday. It is full of wonderful stories of the lives of my ancestors. Sweet Joey listened as I read him the stories and we prepared a Family Home Evening lesson to teach Dad and Kimball. We made a little matching game where they would have to match fun facts to who they thought it belonged.  eg Was it great grandma or Grandpa Burnett who had a horse named Salem, played the harmonica, worked at a sawmill etc. The Joey and I would tell the story. It was wonderful, and I hope to have many more family home evenings like that.


I invite the young people of the Church to learn about and experience the Spirit of Elijah. I encourage you to study, to search out your ancestors, and to prepare yourselves to perform proxy baptisms in the house of the Lord for your kindred dead (see D&C 124:28–36). And I urge you to help other people identify their family histories.
As you respond in faith to this invitation, your hearts shall turn to the fathers. The promises made to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob will be implanted in your hearts. Your patriarchal blessing, with its declaration of lineage, will link you to these fathers and be more meaningful to you. Your love and gratitude for your ancestors will increase. Your testimony of and conversion to the Savior will become deep and abiding. And I promise you will be protected against the intensifying influence of the adversary. As you participate in and love this holy work, you will be safeguarded in your youth and throughout your lives.

We had a wonderful spring. We got a surprising amount of rain for San Antonio.  Here are the boys waiting in the front porch swing for Dad to get home from work.

The boys LOVED riding their bikes up and down our quite little street. It was so wonderful living on the end of a cul-de-sac!
I think I already posted these pics, but I just love them. It is one of the most beautiful sights ever to see a field full of blue-bonnets.  These were just a block from our house.  I LOVE march in Texas with all the beautiful wild-flowers! It seems like about the 3rd week in march (around Peter's b-day) is about the best time too see all the flowers before the heat burns them, up.




It's still funny to me how different the school experiences of children are depending on where you live. Joey has learned all about the Alamo (something i never remember learning about in CT--yet not a word is mentioned about the charter Oak--something I did learn in CT), and his crafts are making armadillos and cacti.  I love it!
Kimball and Dad mowing the lawn--face masks and all. Those poor allergic boys
Happy Birthday Peter!  He requested a yummy breakfast for dinner and had a peanut-buttery mousse chocolate cake.  It was so rich we had to send it to work :)

more beautiful wildflowers

2 comments:

Rachel Oswald said...

Aiden is sitting on my lap looking at these pics with me and he said, "That's Lindsay! I love Lindsay..." You should feel loved because he doesn't really like people :) And that he recognized you on his own!

Very sweet pictures. You look hot all sweaty from the gym!

Unknown said...

Beautiful family photos! + I didn't know you taught a cycling class! Way to go.