Monday, August 25, 2008

Little Moments

These pictures are a reminder to myself to enjoy the little moments. There are lots of times when I don't because I am on the verge of sending my son away on an extended vacation :) Joseph is very stubborn and many times absolutely refuses to listen when you ask him to do something. If he knows you want him to do something, he will not do it! A trait that will eventually turn into a great blessing which will allow him to stand up to what he knows is wrong and not follow the crowd. But right now, as his mother, I do not enjoy this trait at all.

So, these pictures are of right before nap time. His bowels keep to a tight time clock, and every day at 1:30 he has a little pooping session. So as soon as he finishes I am really anxious for him to wash his hands, get his underwear back on, and get into his room for quiet time so I can take my much needed break. But I think he senses my anxiousness and therefore takes as long as he possibly can to do those simple tasks, and for some reason that drives me nuts!!! I have had many a migraine from trying to restrain myself from an unwanted outburst of anger. ("Just let it go" is much easier said than done!)

So one day I decided to practice my patience. I just watched this cute little boy wash his hands (for 10 minutes mind you) and I couldn't help but see, again, what an adorable little boy he is. I couldn't resist taking pictures of the cute faces he makes in the mirror. It was a good lesson for me to remember to appreciate all those sweet little moments.

So now instead of rushing him off to bed, I let myself relax and just enjoy a little extra time with him alone while Kimball is sleeping. Or, if his dawdling gets a little long I just go and check my email and let him wash his hands for as long as he wants :)


4 comments:

amy said...

amen sister! those frustrating times are so hard, yet when a mom can take a few deep breaths and enjoy the moment, it becomes so sweet. you are an amazing mom, linds!

Camille said...

That's hilarious! And don't worry, I think we all have those moments. :) But I do love those facial expressions! I think blogging has really helped me see those moments a little more because instead of getting mad I think, this will make a great picture for the blog. :)(Although sometimes I forget that still.)

Rachel Oswald said...

What a funny boy. Too bad you had to have a boy as laid back as you :) HaHa. You are a wonderful mom, and I miss you tons!

The Favorite said...

He is such a handsome little man. Those are some great pics. I also LOVE the ones of your family. Kimball is so big already- walking around and I love his hair.
You're blog is so fun!