Monday, January 2, 2012

When Peter's Gone

One day Kimball was watching Team Umizumi--a super cute math cartoon. It was apparently VERY intense. There was a little egg that was about to get smashed and Kimball could not handle the thought. This is his reaction on the 4th time of watching it. (He knows it will survive, but it remained that intense for him). SO cute.

The next thing was not at all cute. I don't consider myself a girly, squirmish girl. I've killed, even admired, many a critter in my lifetime. But there was something terrible that struck me with horrific fear about scorpions. The night Peter took the boys to the Father-Sons camp out I woke up in the morning and saw something out of the corner of my eye (in the tub). I looked over and realized it was a scorpion. I felt my legs turn to jello. I wanted to run screaming from the house. Luckily, it only took me a few seconds to regain at least partial control of my senses. I saw it was stuck in the tub, so I got a cup and bravely trapped it in there. I then spent the next 20 minutes in utter fear. Many people in Texas believe that scorpions always come in pairs, so if you find one in your house, you have to search until you find it's mate. So I very fearfully stood 12-18 inches away from the counters--so the mate couldn't sneak attack and kill me from under the cabinet. That was seriously one of the most frightening expereinces of my life. I stayed out of the house for the next 5 hours until Peter got home and showed me how easy those evil critters are to smash. I have now overcome a new fear! :)

When Peter did and interview we spent Saturday morning doing lots and lots of jobs so they could earn $ to go to the $ store and get a toy. They both picked out a finger skateboard and I got glow int he dark necklaces. For FHE Monday we went to the corner and got Slurpees at Valero and then jumped in the dark outside with the necklaces.


My final surprise when Peter was gone was stepping into my bedroom and feeling the strangest sensation underfoot. I looked around and saw a lizard scamper across the floor. Now compared to a scorpion, the lizard was a blessed guest. :) But still, I didn't want it in my house. I finally trapped it in my hands, and headed for the door to take it outside when the little guy chomped down on my finger. It didn't hurt too bad, it mostly scared me. I screamed--which brought two little helpers to my room. The three of us cornered him again and got him in a plastic bag so he couldn't bite me again. We got him outside and he changed from bight gecko green to brown.

2 comments:

Camille said...

Oh my goodness! A scorpion, then a lizard? That scorpion would have freaked me out too! I'm glad you area so brave now...I will call for you if I see one at the beach next summer. :). I love that picture of Kimball being all nervous and what a great idea to to glow bracelets in the dark! I miss you guys!

Carol said...

Creepy crawlers in January! Did they come in to get warm??