Friday, January 21, 2011

Sweet Joey

Last week, while we were all sick, Joey asked me to come eat lunch with him at school. I told him yes thinking that I would be feeling a lot better the next day. But the next day I woke up not feeling much improvement. I told Joey that I didn't think I would be able to come and asked if we could wait until the next week to go. He looked so sad and I just couldn't say no to those big brown eyes. I just thought, "He is so excited for his mom to come to his school and eat lunch with him. There will probably come a time when he would rather die than have me come eat lunch at school with him; I better take advantage of these precious moments while they last."

So after taking a little power nap, Kimball and I headed off to school to eat with Joey. It made me so happy to see how excited he was that we were there, and how proudly he said YES when the other kids asked, "Is that you mom Joey?" It was so fun to sit at the table in the noisy cafeteria and eat with my sweet son. What melted my heart even more was when he jumped out of his seat to go give a man walking by a hug. When I asked him who that was he said, "It's Mr. (I forgot the name), he's the janitor."

Then that night for his prayer he said, "Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you that I could have a fun day, and thank you that we are a family. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

I am so grateful for a sweet boy who reminds me of what is really important!

3 comments:

Camille said...

That is so sweet. That would melt my heart if I was his mommy. Way to go eat with him even though you didn't feel well!

Unknown said...

That is so sweet. What a good mom you are.

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness, I almost just cried, that is so sweet. Thanks for sharing!