Saturday, October 30, 2010

Joey's first day of kindergarten

What handsome boys!

Saying goodbye, but refusing to kiss mom in front of the other kids.
Doesn't that vulnerable, scared look just break your heart. Here he is lining up with his class. His teacher, Mrs. Erikson is in the pink shirt
Kimball decided to spend his first day of freedom hiding in the storage container

Brave little boy coming home on the bus!
My friend Laura from Buffalo had a great tradition of making a giant cookie for the first day of school. Joey was so excited to come home to a giant treat with a blue sprinkle J on it!



Here is an excerpt from my journal of Joey's first day:
Today was Joey's first day of kindergarten. We brought him into the cafeteria where the teacher was waiting with the rest of the students. After a few hugs (and no kiss because Joey refused to kiss me in front of his friends--it was really cute actually. He's growing up and getting embarrassed to kiss mom. I did make him give me a kiss tonight before bed and he happily did), we waited at the exit of the cafeteria for the school bell to ring. Joey walked out and to class with his teacher. I was so nervous for him. I just wanted him to feel safe and secure.
As Peter, Kimball and I walked out of the cafeteria, Peter looked at me and said, "wow, you made it through without crying." As soon as he said that the tears just started gushing. I guess i was holding it all back so joey wouldn't feed off my nervousness. I spent the morning in peppy mode, trying to ignite a fire in him about how fun school is. As soon as he couldn't see me anymore all the anxiety and worries I had been feeling came rushing out.
Then when we got home I just sat on our front swing for a long time, not wanting to go inside. I felt if I went inside I would be too far away from my son if he needed me. (Crazy, I know, but when your a mom sending your first child off to kindergarten you'll understand) Peter finally convinced me he would be alright.
I felt so strongly how intense that mother love is for a child. There really is no love in the world stronger. Only the love of the Savior can top it. As i love my children, I better understand the immense love our Father in Heaven has for us. I know my kids were His kids first. That He loves them, and will watch over them much better than I can. It was comforting to leave Joey in his Father's hands.

3 comments:

Carol said...

AWWWW....

Unknown said...

Very handsome little boys! :) Wow, can't believe you have a kid old enough to be in school!

Sally said...

aww, thanks for sharing. :`-) And I agree, those boys are SO handsome.