Sunday, October 18, 2009

Touch the Temple

A few weeks ago we went to save Uncle Joe who was at his brother's house after getting sick while doing a session in the temple. Since we were only a few minutes away, I decided to take the boys to see the temple. This was a luxury to me since there was no way I would have taken them to the drug-lord run city of Juarez, Mexico where our last temple was. But when we got to the temple the gates were closed so we couldn't walk around. Everyday after that Joey kept asking me when we were going to be able to walk around the temple. The next week we were finally able to drive up there when the grounds were open. That morning I relistened to the talk from Conference that spoke of temples and our homes. I loved this quote:

"Even our young children have been encouraged to visit the temple grounds and touch the temple. President Thomas S. Monson once counseled, “As we touch the temple, the temple will touch us.”

Gary E. Stevenson, “Sacred Homes, Sacred Temples,” Liahona, May 2009, 101–3

It made me so excited to start planting seeds of love for the temple in my boys by taking them to the temple grounds frequently. I was a little disappointed though when we actually went and it wasn't the amazing spiritual experience I expected :) The snails, waterfall, and Great Harvest Bread across the street were far more exciting than the temple. But after telling myself that they are just sweet little boys, I knew that if I could at least develop a habit of taking them to the temple and sharing a few words about its importance, that would hopefully be enough. I was then glad to hear what Elder Bednar said in his last conference talk:

"Sometimes Sister Bednar and I wondered if our efforts to do these spiritually essential things were worthwhile. Now and then verses of scripture were read amid outbursts such as “He’s touching me!” “Make him stop looking at me!” “Mom, he’s breathing my air!” Sincere prayers occasionally were interrupted with giggling and poking. And with active, rambunctious boys, family home evening lessons did not always produce high levels of edification. At times Sister Bednar and I were exasperated because the righteous habits we worked so hard to foster did not seem to yield immediately the spiritual results we wanted and expected....

Each family prayer, each episode of family scripture study, and each family home evening is a brushstroke on the canvas of our souls. No one event may appear to be very impressive or memorable. But just as the yellow and gold and brown strokes of paint complement each other and produce an impressive masterpiece, so our consistency in doing seemingly small things can lead to significant spiritual results. “Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great” (
D&C 64:33). Consistency is a key principle as we lay the foundation of a great work in our individual lives and as we become more diligent and concerned in our own homes."







3 comments:

Sally said...

Wow, thanks for sharing that. I enjoyed his descriptions of their FHE with small children, but it didn't jump out at me in the same way as it just did. That's really neat that you are taking your kids to touch the temple :)
And thanks again for helping me save Uncle Joe! :)

Camille said...

Cute pictures! Thanks for sharing those quotes. I just recently read that "Sacred temples, sacred homes" as well. You are such a great mom! Thanks for being such a good example. I'm right behind you with our two boys too. :) Thanks for giving me such a great example to follow! I see the same kind of FHE's in our future as Elder Bednar, huh? :)

Laura said...

I loved that talk by Elder Bednar. Thanks for the great application into your life. Helps me to think about what I am doing to make those important individual brushstrokes. :) Love the pictures of the boys.