Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sorrow

The other day we were playing outside when I saw a baby lizard out of the corner of my eye. I grabbed it and put it in Joey's bug house so Joey could watch it. A few minutes later Joey ran up to me saying he had pulled the lizards tail off. He then proudly showed my the horrifying twitching tail at the bottom of the cage and the stumpy lizard paralyzed in fear. I turned to Joey and said, "Joseph, that is a mean thing to do, that hurt the lizard."
Oh, that poor little boy's heart broke right then and there and he burst into tears. I wanted him to understand that it is a serious thing to hurt and animal like that, but then I felt horrible. I listen to that kid whine and cry all day without an ounce of pity, but it is totally different to see your child truly heartbroken and sorrowful. It's more than a mother heart can take. So we both sat there and cried. We both learned a good lesson about being tender and kind.

No comments: