Sunday, June 22, 2008

Pnemonia

Poor little Kimball did not get to enjoy his first birthday very much because he was so sick. He then spent most of the next day in the emergency room.

The entire week we were in CT, Kimball was sick with a cold. On Sunday morning, the day after his birthday, Kimball woke up really happy. He seemed like he was finally getting better. After a few hours of relief, I took the boys outside to play. After a few minutes I could tell something was wrong with Kimball, he did not look right; so I took him inside to give him some Motrin. As I gave him the medicine I noticed he felt really warm, and his breathing was very quick. Two minutes later Kimball started shaking and his eyes rolled back. I grabbed him and held him, and he just went limp. (I later learned he had a little febrile seizure). After a few minutes, Kimball relaxed a little and was so tired. He just laid on the couch and panted. He could barely breath. He panted in and out every second. I was very scared! Luckily I was a my parents house, so I had my Mom to help me through it. It was terrible because Peter was half way across the country driving our things to Texas.

So my mom quickly called one of the young women from church, Paulette, who was wonderful and came over to watch Joseph while we took Kimball to the emergency room. I then called Peter and told him we were taking Kimball to the emergency room. That was a horrible call! I just heard Peter start crying as he said, "I'm driving in the wrong direction." We both wished he could have been there, but we knew we were being watched over.

As my mom and I drove to downtown Hartford, we saw that the entrance to the hospital was blocked off. There was some crazy Puerto Rican holiday so we kept getting directed to different detours around the hospital. After a few blocks of that, my mom rolled down her window and started shouting at a police officer that we needed to get a baby to the hospital (way to go mom!). We were then ushered right up.

We got Kimball in and they took his temperature. It was 103.2 (and that was with Motrin). So they immediately gave him some Tylenol, which only brought his fever down to 102.5. Poor kid was so sick. After a few chest X-Rays, they said he had pneumonia and gave him a shot of antibiotic in each leg, and sent us home with a RX for more.

What a heart-wrenching experience. It was so sad to see Kimball so sick! The next three days were really rough because Kimball needed constant supervision and comfort. He could hardly breath. I am so grateful to my parents and Ashley who helped me so much! They accompanied Kimball and I on are 2 am walk outside to help his lungs open up, offered lots of support, helped me keep track of his constant medication, and who took over for me when I started vomiting and passing out from exhaustion. Thank You!!!



Despite being incredibly sick and hooked up to all sorts of monitors, Kimball still had his smile. What a sweet little boy!

3 comments:

Rosanna said...

Wow, I'm so sorry you had to go through that, and especially for Kimball. Poor kid. It sounds like you totally wore yourself out. Thank goodness for your family to help you, especially since Peter was across the country. I'm glad everyone is doing better now.

Sally said...

Lindsay, I'm so grateful that Peter has you. And I'm so happy that you guys are all better! We love you!

Sarah said...

Lindsay, I had no idea! You brave momma! I hope the dry heat of Texas gives you all a boost after the humid wetness of dreary Buffalo.