Monday, January 5, 2015

Miracles, Lizards, and Mountain Fun

Well, the whole situation--our family calling to be a foster family, was very difficult. We knew that when I miraculously became pregnant, that we could only take 1 foster child. But when they told us Tionne had a sister and they couldn't find a home for her, we prayed. I felt strongly that it was our choice as to what to do. It would be fine if we said no. But if we chose to say yes, we would see amazing things and be helped along that most difficult path. So we said yes.
And it was hard...very,very HARD! Being pregnant, having my husband gone so much with his responsibilities in residency and shouldering the major burden of the kids was more than I could do.  I lived for my monthly priesthood blessing which would give me just enough strength to keep going.  I cried myself to sleep many, many nights--so exhausted mentally and physically--having given everything of myself to help meet everyone's needs and keep this little family together.
One night I remember crying out in a desperate plea to my Heavenly Father, telling Him I could not do it anymore. Asking for at least a little relief, some small change (especially in Errie's difficult behaviors) to make life at least bareable. I had been praying for weeks without that relief and I couldn't do it anymore. I was wondering if Heavenly Father was still listening.
The next morning Tionne and I went to the store to get our weekly hoard of food. When I went to start the van to return home, it wouldn't work. I almost broke into hysterical sobs right there. My mind racing with the thought, "Heavenly Father, you already knew I couldn't handle anymore, why won't you just bless the car to work!"
So I got our of the car and tried to process what to do--maybe go ask the store if someone had jumper cables. As I got to the back of the van, I saw a lady I had met briefly at the pool. She quickly approached and asked how I was doing and I briefly told her of my dilemma. She said she had cables in her car, but didn't know how to use them.  Right after, a man pulled in across from us and asked if anything was wrong. I told him about the van and he said he was a mechanic and could take a look. He pushed the van out a bit, hooked up the cables and started the van. He said the battery was very corroded and I should go to McDonald's and buy black coffee and pour it over the battery cause it will dissolve the acid (scary, I know).
So as I sat in the drive though waiting to buy my first cup of coffee, I was overwhelmed with a sense of My Father's love. It was as if He was saying, "I am right here. I am helping you. And when you do absolutely need it, I will send backup. I will send acquaintances with tools and friendly strangers who know just how to help.  I will help you get through this."
I knew from then on, no matter how hard it got, how much we wanted the difficulties to end, that I would never give up until Heavenly Father told me to.
I am so grateful for His loving, watchful care, and the great opportunities He gives up to grow.

Joey and I especially have tender hearts to animals. When lizards would get stuck in the scorpion glue traps int he garage, we would work for quite a long time to free their little bodies from the sticky mess.The smallest lizard we kept for a few days and then released.





We had fun hiking with the kids in Madera Canyon 30 minutes from our house. The kids loved the big crickets and exploring the dried up river beds









The waterfall was all dried up



Picnic lunch






Tionne loved catching stink bugs

We came home and made s'mores.  Errie said it was the first time she had ever made them. It was such a fun family day







No comments: